Friday, June 26, 2015

CROCHET PILLOW & DUMPSTER DIVING

Just finished this pillow.  It's been staring me in the face every day.  All that was left to do was to stitch down the yellow flower and two leaves.  That's it!  Today was the day!  It's a simple single crochet stitch, round and round, done in spiral fashion.  A back, front and crocheted together with a shell border.  I didn't even have a round pillow form, but I did have a square one.  So I tucked in the corners and stitched them down.  It worked perfectly.  The pillow is crocheted from Lily's Sugar 'n Cream, variegated, Aloe Vera.  It is one of those cotton yarns that has an odor, smell, scent - I don't like that.  I don't go into a store and say, "let me smell your yarn".  Do people do that?  So why the need for scent?  But I liked the color, and that was that.  It reminds me of summer, cottage living.

As for the dumpster diving, it wasn't actually a dive, more of a reach my arm in and pull out that sweet, vintage, pale pink chenille full-sized bedspread.  I don't know how old it is, but probably a good 50-60 years.  When Aunt Grace's house was being emptied last summer, her two sons thought it was garbage and threw it in the dumpster.  I saw it peeking out later that evening and went over to give it a good look.  Well, there were only a couple of small stains on it.  I snatched that thing lickety split and made a b-line up my sidewalk.  It was going home for a nice, warm bubble bath.  After coming out of the dryer, all soft and snuggly, the stains had magically disappeared!  I felt a little guilty about swiping it and made a confession.  They told me that if I found anything else I wanted to help myself.  I might have found a few more things.

S.W.A.K.

Don't forget to visit Frannie at CuteKatyDolls on YouTube!

1 comment:

Natas Nest said...

Oh what a cute, cute cushion, wonderful!! ♥ Great job. Good that you saved the beautiful blanket, it's really pretty and it seems as if the cushion has just waited for it :-). Sunny greetings from your new follower Nata